Pinky ( aka Dental Cone Beam CT)
What is a Cone Beam CT Scanner?
- Cone Beam CT is the gold standard for maxillofacial imaging due to its unsurpassed detail of bone and dental structures (captures bone loss 50% earlier than dental x-rays)
- Has the advantage of lower radiation exposure, smaller size, and faster image capture compared to conventional CT
Click on the icons below to learn more about this exciting technology!
Where the Fuzzy head goesMarker 2
Highly detailed scan of the skull and dental anatomyMarker 3
Heated table to keep the fuzzies warmMarker 4
Small but very mighty monitoring machine to ensure our sedated patients vitals are all okay!Marker 5
Happy Juice to keep our patients from moving during the scan. Even a small amount of movement will affect the quality of the scan so sedation is an absolute requirement
Why does a Cone Beam benefit my pet?
- More detailed evaluation of the extent of bone loss associated with oral masses
- Earlier diagnosis of endodontic and periodontal disease
- Detailed assessment of maxillofacial trauma allowing for proper planning of fracture fixation
- More accurate assessment of bone loss associated with clefts and fistulas than with x-ray alone
- Evaluation of the TMJ and caudal maxillomandibular structures (impossible with x-ray)
Benefits of the cone beam over dental x-rays include:
- rapid speed
- lower radiation exposure (about the same as a set of full-mouth rads)
- over twice the sensitivity to bone loss over x-rays
very small slice thickness (down to 0.2 mm)
- immediate 3D reconstruction